Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How bikes make the world a better place.

4,687 miles.  In one summer.  On a bike.  And all in the name of saving lives.

It's the 10th year of the Texas Livestrong 4000.  In the decade of the event's existence, over $4 million has been raised for cancer research.  (I'm not a fan of Lance Armstrong's general mode of operation, but I think it is awesome how the ball he started rolling has gathered so much momentum for so much good.  It is a nice reminder that despite big mistakes and big failures in life, many positives can result from honest efforts done with right motives.  Whew! I'm glad we don't have to be perfect in this life to make a difference.)

Almost 70 young cyclists are going to ride 70-80 miles a day for 70 days.  That is amazing, especially considering some of them are relatively new to the sport.

Here is the article in it's entirety from the Austin American Statesman.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/lifestyles/recreation/texas-4000-cyclists-head-for-alaska-next-weekend/nX2Fz/

One of my favorite aspects of cycling is the natural alliance that occurs with cool events like the Texas Livestrong 4000.  There are so many rides across this country and probably world that are doing so much good for so many people.  If you're looking for an incentive to start riding a bike, pick a cause you are passionate about and I bet there is a ride in conjunction with it.


Last weekend was the Warrior 100K.  Former President Bush honored veterans who have been wounded in combat by hosting them on a 3-day mountain bike ride on his own ranch.

This coming weekend my family and a couple of teammates will be in Amarillo participating in 24-hours in the Canyon, yet another event that raises money to help combat cancer.  I had no idea the event was specifically for cancer until I got on the website to register.

The most fun I've ever had on a road bike was last October during the Tour de Pink.  My friend was riding because she appreciated all that the Young Survival Coalition had done for her as she walked through breast cancer.  I signed up originally because riding along the Pacific Coast in California sounded like the ride of a lifetime.  It wasn't until I heard the stories from the survivors that I joined the true celebration of the event.

The two other road tours I have participated in were both originally rides I wanted to do for the fun and experience.  It was only later I found out that the Tour de Gap in Abilene gives it's proceeds to the local food bank, and the Tour de Pepper in Dublin benefits Kids Across America.  Helping kids is nice, but today I looked up exactly what they do and was blown away.  Kids are being rescued from human trafficking and a fraction of world hunger is alleviated.     

Then there is the MS-150, Race Across America, and countless others.  In fact, as I write this article, it is truly sinking in that the main reason events get organized are not so avid cyclists can enjoy a memorable weekend on the bike, but rather that people in need can be reached.  What an awesome community.