Saturday, June 15, 2013

10 days, 4 states, and an interview with a 24 hour race finisher

Out of curiosity, I added up the mileage and hours from my recent 10 day vacation.  From the 24 hour race (6 hours for me) in Palo Duro Canyon in Amarillo, Texas... to the Tramway and Idyllwild trails in California... to Flagstaff, Arizona... to Albuquerque, New Mexico...

I logged 17.5 hours of ride time, 162 miles, and somewhere around 21,000 ft. of elevation gain.  The elevation gain is the best part, as it is a bit hard to train for high mountain races in the flat lands of Texas.

These totals further put into perspective the magnitude of the 24 hour race that happened only 2 weeks ago.  Compare the above totals spread over 10 days to to what was done in a day.  Probably around 23 hours of ride time, 247 miles covered, and an overall elevation gain around 16,000 ft.

After Aaron, Andrew, and I knocked the dust off our SPD's in the Canyon, we headed toward California where family and adventure were waiting.  To pass the time in the car, I interviewed Andrew.  Here are his thoughts, less than 24 hours after crossing the finish line on his epic ride: 


 Q:  What were your expectations going into the race?  Did you have certain goals you were hoping to hit?

Andrew:  My goal was to stay on the bike for 21 hours, and to average 9 mph.  I wanted to get 200 miles.  Another goal was to break the course record (21 laps) and to ride through the night.



Q:  What was running through your mind in the hour leading up to the race?


A:  I was frantic because I felt too unorganized.  I would probably say I was unreasonable.  I wanted time to get ready that just wasn't there.  

Q:  Was there a time during the 24 hours you didn't think you could make it riding the full 24 hours?

A:  No.  A time at about 5:30 in the morning that I was ready for it to be done, but honestly I never doubted that I wouldn't ride the 24 hours.  (This might have to do with the fact that at 10:30 p.m. the night before, we were still in our driveway in Fort Worth, trying to get out of town after high school graduation.)

Q:  What was your mental strategy to keep riding lap after lap of the same course?

A:  Keep moving forward.  Even if it was walking, just keep moving forward.  I just broke the course down into bite size chunks.  There was some really fun pats of the course, so when I was suffering I knew I was coming up on a fun section, some fun parts to look forward to.

Q:  What was the hardest hour during the 24 hours?


A:  There was a hard time on the first day when I was struggling from the sun.  The sun wore me out, between 4:30 and 5:30 in the afternoon.  Then from 9-10 in the morning, my legs were done.  Or it just turns out I needed to poop.  That honestly made a huge difference.

Q:  What was the best moment of the 24 hours?

A:  There were two.  The lap just before dark, and the lap when the sun came up.  They were both awesome.  When the sun was setting and when it was rising, I felt could have been my 2 fastest laps.

Q:  What role did the competition between you and Rocky (he won the race just ahead of Andrew) have on your race?


A:  There's no way I would have kept the pace I kept had Rocky not been in sight. My breaks would have been longer, I would have sat down.  I probably would have sat down for food. 

Q:  How did your body hold up?  What was hurting the most?

A:  My knees, my right knee specifically.    My left foot, and my hands.

Q:  How are you feeling now, exactly 24 hours after completing the 24 hours?

A:  Surprisingly good.  The only thing that would keep me from riding today would be saddle sores and my palms are bruised.  It would be a recovery ride, but my legs feel great.


Q:  Do you think you will compete in some other endurance races?  If so, which ones?


A:  Yes, looking forward to the Fossil 50, and next year the Whisky 50 is on my radar.  As far as 24 hours and extreme races, I would be excited to do one again.

Q:  Anything else?

A:  Additionally, it was awesome having my family out there supporting me, telling me to get back on the bike and also friends out there motivating me and helping me stay on the bike.  It was awesome.