Monday, August 26, 2013

Hotter 'N Hell summed up in one word: Why?

Yes, it really is ridiculously hot. Like "I think I want to die, it is so hot" hot. And 2013 was even a mild year! My thoughts on the day include a mini rant on the sanity of the whole ordeal, so I'll apologize now. Overall, I'm glad I made the short trek from Fort Worth to Wichita Falls and participated in the largest bike ride in the nation. Thousands upon thousands of cycling enthusiast were in town, and this alone made the weekend unique. It is easy to feel like a minority when you ride a bike, but not here. I didn't get to see much of the other festivities occurring, but there were many, and I'll admit, they looked like fun. 

 
 The crit races, complete with a Ferrari to clear the path.

 


The mall-sized consumer show.  


Bicycle Inc, a major sponsor of the race, was out in full force. 


The pace of the race was the most phenomenal feature. For the first 75 miles, I averaged 20 mph. Let me say I had tried and tried again to solo effort an 18 mph on my road bike (for a 1 hour ride), and had yet to do so until this weekend, when I averaged 20 mph for 4 hours. Even though I was limping from aid station to aid station in the last 25 miles, I still had a riding average of almost 19 mph.  When you throw in my combined 20 minutes of stoppage to douse my body with cold water and guzzle gatorade, I officially finished the race at 17.6 mph, which is still faster than my fastest pace alone.  That is crazy, crazy. I'm beginning to understand why people love riding in a group so much.  You can go fast!

 

 Riders line up for the start.   Almost 3,800 signed up for the full 100 miles.


At the massive start, I was somewhere in the middle of the 100 mile starters (they get to go first, then the 100K, and on down to the 25 milers).  I wanted to get out of the "just cruising" crowds, so when I found a guy who was blazing a trail in the fast lane (left lane, same as driving), I jumped on his back wheel and followed him.  From then on, I did my best to stay in groups that were moving at least 20 mph.  Toward the end of the race, there were times I had to pull to the side because I was too worn out.  The last 5 miles I plugged away without drafting off of anyone.  I was simply dying to find the finish line and get out of the scorching heat.



Riders stop off at one of numerous rest stops well-stocked and well-staffed with volunteers and medical personnel. When you see not one, not two, but three ambulances during the course of the race, you know it's the real deal. Add to that one rider lying on the pavement with the mob being redirected around him (at the start), one gentleman sitting on the side of the road with a stopped motorist on his phone calling in medical help (one of those three ambulances came blaring toward him moments later), and another man in a stretcher being loaded into yet another ambulance.  I had heard this race was serious business.  Now I know it is.  And I read an article stating last year the Hell's Gate cutoff was not in place and a major highway was littered with overheating cyclist.  One man was finding shade under a speed limit sign!

 

Here is where the rant begins:  Why on earth do cyclists pick the hottest month of the year in one of the hottest states on the planet to go and ride at the hottest time of the day???  I was on my bike between 7:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.  The last hour was pure misery.  And there were people out on the course for 4 MORE HOURS!  Insanity.  If a single cyclist were to go out and ride in the hottest part of the day, calling a friendly doctor to be on standby for heat stroke, you would call that cyclist downright nuts.  But have thousands of buddies join the party, and now it's a world famous bike race.  (Next time I'm gonna check the water stations for cool-aid.)  My brain simply cannot register the reasoning behind all of this.  Why are humans so stupid?  It's like this:  If I saw someone else jumping off of a cliff...no way, I'm too smart for that nonsense.  But if thousands were jumping, then danggit, get out of my way!

Now, now.  If you are a HHH die hard, calm thyself.  I know there are lots of reasons to do the HHH.  The fact that many proceeds of the race go to help local charities and support the local community is enough to put up with the heat.  And being able to ride in pack after pack (even if you get dropped time and time again like I did) and do average speeds well beyond your personal capability is sheer delight.  Having incredible volunteers stand in the heat all day to help you stay alive and keep moving is pretty cool, too.  I can also see the fun in competing against yourself year after year to improve time and speed.  Perhaps all of the above is what keeps people coming back for more.  Nevertheless, I still think it is one of the most insane bike races around.  Even if everyone's doing it.

 

No comments: