Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Friends

Two nights ago I was so blessed to meet up with 3 teammates from college I hadn't seen in a long while.  We caught up on life.  Old stories were told, as well as new ones revolving around some of the girls' own kids.  My favorite was of Shara's 6 year-old son.  She was telling us how much he is like her.  (She interluded with the story of when she went into the office of our college coach to renew her scholarship and shot him with a water gun.  He sent her out, contract unsigned.  She signed it later.)  Anyways, her son was playing goalie in a soccer game.  When the ball finally came his way, Shara turned to cheer him on and encourage him to be ready.  His head was caught in the net.

We laughed.  We also laughed as Lynsie told us about her journey as the new head coach at a large public school.  I could imagine her 6'3 frame leaning down to talk to some of the sassy little girls who think they know more than the seasoned coach with college coaching experience.

In the middle of a hectic week, it was a beautiful gift to see these friends of a lifetime.  Even though we don't see each other near as much as we want, when we get together it is almost like the grueling practices and memories made happened yesterday.  We're all in our thirties now (I'm the oldest of this particular group and even though I'm nearing 35, they thought I was nearing 40.  That was funny, too.)  We lose track of our age and where we are living and working.  And they give me grief for not being on facebook. 

I have been reflecting on those friendships the past few days and feel like I'm one of the richest persons on the planet.  I have great friends and great memories that will last the decades.  It's deeply comforting to me that the fires we walked through together is what forged our bond strong enough that no time can separate it.  We all have our own lives now and different daily circles of friends.  I couldn't help but thinking of the simple adage "Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver, and the other gold."  It is true.  I'm so thankful for friends.


2 comments:

sage moose said...

And one of my favorite stories from your basketball days: Omamo..."You can have two wives in Kenya." bahaha

Anonymous said...

Or Coach thinking he was going to scrimmage with us and shedding his wind pants only to remember he hadn't put on shorts that day...