Thursday, May 9, 2013

What's your passion?

You know what one of my favorite things in life is?  It's seeing people shine in whatever it is that they are gifted at.  It doesn't matter what it is, the more variety I witness the more I love it and am inspired.

I have heard and read about two different doctors in the last couple of days that are passionate about what they do.  They genuinely love their patients, take time after hours to go above and beyond to look after the well-being of those under their watch.  It is evident that this isn't burdensome to them, but rather a joy.



Yesterday, I face-timed with my sister-in-law in California.  She was trying to corral her 2-year old son while he danced around in the background, shaking his hips to the noisy birthday present that my husband and I sent. (I forgot that noisy gifts are a parent's nightmare).  She and her husband adopted him from birth and are raising him to be a mighty warrior of a man.  I love getting to witness them gently, but firmly leading him.  This is their calling.

My sister is a master in the kitchen.  She can invent a recipe out of the creative recesses of her brain and turn it into something wonderful (Samplings at Katie's Kitchen).  She is amazing at photography, too.  (It's been a couple of years since she has been on her blog.  She is raising some little warriors herself, and her family is also in the process of adopting from Haiti.)  Living with no regrets is her passion.

That makes me think about my nephew.  The little dude loves soccer.  I got to watch him play a game about a month ago.  He and the rest of the 7 year-old cleated rascals' faces would alternate between fierce concentration and unbridled joy as they roamed the field.

My husband is taking guitar lessons.  Music opens up a portal to the innermost places of his being.  He and I both love watching gifted musicians fly their fingers over the guitar on a lead solo or hearing singers soothe souls with angelic voices.  (Think Candice Glover if you are currently watching American Idol).

Whenever I read a good book, I am awed at the ability of a writer to put his or her thoughts into a cohesive pattern that flows.  (I've sat down to try and do it and it is way harder than it seems.)  When someone can tell a story with powerful and imaginative language that can stir the thoughts of the one reading it, I am amazed.

I wonder what it is you love.  Maybe it's related to something above.  Or maybe it is something totally different.  I know this, though.  You have something inside that no one else can offer exactly like you do.  It might be a brilliant talent that will inspire the masses.  Or it may be something seemingly so small and invisible that no one appears to notice or give attention to.  Whatever it is, it was given to you by God.  He created it in you and loves to see you enjoy it.  I love the fact that God loves to see us enjoy life. 

So don't be afraid to hold it out to the world.  Someone just might get inspired by you being you.