Wednesday, June 12, 2013

29 Palms, Ca. Semper Fi

Our California trip continued with a trip to the marine base in 29 Palms.  After spending time "down in the valley," we headed north.  I was looking forward to seeing where my brother in law (Adam) works and where Laura and Urijah call home as they eagerly await his return from Afghanistan.  It was a unique experience visiting a military base.  I had 2 major impressions:  1)  I would never survive - (I forgot my I.D. twice upon entering and then re-entering the base, and I broke dress code in an on-base convenient store when I wore a cap inside), and 2) I'm so thankful for these guys and their families.  These marines and their wives and kids make huuuge commitments and sacrifices for the rest of us.  And most of the time we/I fail to show gratitude for what they do by not even having a clue.  It's humbling.  I have such respect for Adam and Laura and it was a great honor to be there in 29 Palms.  

I didn't take too many pictures on base, but it was pretty amazing to see the inner workings of our great military.  Laura was a pro tour guide! 

 
Aside from hanging out with Laura and Urijah, my favorite experience on the base, and one of the highlights of the entire California trip, was church.  Real worship, real truth, real people relying on our God.  Seeing men in uniform sitting by themselves, or men like the guy in the picture (purple shirt) with family, worshiping and seeking strength from the same God I seek strength from each day was so incredibly uplifting.

 
During our brief time on base, we made some great memories.  Here Urijah is trained in the finer arts of being an Andress boy.  Swimming with Uncle A is better than going to a water park!  



 Andrew, Aaron, and Urijah play some soccer on the golf course after lunch. 

We eventually had to say our tearful goodbyes and turn the car back east for the first time in over a week.  Laura and Urijah and Adam, we love you!!

Here are some pictures Laura sent me back in October when Adam deployed.  Soon after is when she and Urijah came to support my friends and I in the Tour de Pink.  Adam is still serving his year long deployment, although we are all hoping he can make it home sooner. 







Love to all those who serve, and to their families.  God bless and keep you.