Saturday, June 8, 2013

On our way to 29 Palms and Joshua Tree

 Before Buzzy and Carolyn packed up the RV and headed back to Texas, we had a great breakfast together...



      ...And a great dinner at Pappy and Harriets in Pioneertown. 

Next stop:  29 Palms and the Marine Base where Adam (the first of the three A's) is stationed with Laura and Urijah.  That U-man loves his uncles!  And Reba does, too.

After a good night's rest, we went by the local farmer's market, then to Joshua Tree National Park.


 One of my favorite pastimes is birdwatching.  Here a Pinyon Jay (I think) was chirping away in this Joshua Tree.  Also on the trip, we've seen bright blue Stellar Jays, a red house finch, a green unidentified bird, and a hawk carrying a snake. Carolyn and I saw one, and then she saw another!

 Joshua Tree is know for some of the best rock climbing in the country.  It was too hot for anyone to be out climbing, but we could see some of the chalk on the rock faces that gave away the routes. (This is trick photography by Laura.  I was less than a foot off the ground:)


 It's hard to see him, but Aaron is at the second to highest rock in the picture.  He and Andrew ended up climbing even higher.










 This monolith is called the Giant Burrito and is one of the favorite spots for rock climbers.



 After hiking around Joshua Tree, several of us took cat naps before Laura gave us a tour of the base.  I didn't take any pictures for fear of breaking even more military protocol than I already had.  First, I didn't have my I.D. (twice) when we were entering the base, and I wore a cap into a convenient store which is against the dress code. 

Laura cooked a fabulous meal for us!  It is awesome to be here with family and see where Adam works.  God Bless him as he continues to serve in Afghanistan.  And the next time we all get together for family vacation, he'll be here with us!